Update 2 Jan 2013: The RM 500 smartphone ceiling price is abolished.
Malaysian youths aged between 21 and 31 years old who earn less than RM 3000 every month are now eligible to enjoy the RM200 rebate on any smartphone.
29 Dec 2012: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has announced a list of 23 smartphones which is below RM 500 that will qualify for a RM 200 rebate.
The chairman said that the rebate is not targeted at those who want to buy expensive phones.
“If you can buy a RM 2000 smartphone, you’re not the person we want to help.” Datuk Mohamed Sharil Mohamed Tarmizi, MCMC.
Are you qualify to get the RM 200 smartphone rebate?
- Aged 21 to 30 years old with monthly income of RM3000 or below.
- The device will not cost more than RM500.
- Only one youth is eligible for one phone.
- Either be an existing subscriber or get a new broadband plan.
- Start 1 January 2013 until 31 December 2013 or until the RM300 million allocation has been spent.
The list of smartphones that will be offered are as follows:
- Alcatel 993D
- Alcatel OneTouch Glory 2
- Alcatel OneTouch Inspire 2
- The Buzz Phone
- HTC Wildfire
- Huawei Ideos X3
- LG Optimus L3
- Ninetology Black Pearl II
- Ninetology Palette
- Nokia 2730
- Nokia 7230
- Nokia Asha 305
- Nokia Asha 308
- Nokia Asha 311
- Nokia C2-03
- Nokia Lumia 610
- Samsung Galaxy Chat
- Samsung Galaxy Mini
- Samsung Galaxy Pocket
- Samsung Galaxy Y
- Sony Xperia Tipo
- ZTE Acqua
- ZTE V790